Sunday, September 18, 2011

Okay, A Serious One

          It's hard for me to fathom that only a month and a half of university has passed. Just thinking about all the new relationships I've built since August leaves me in awe. I remember my only pre-uni goal... "Make friends, Mika, make friends." But on top of that, who would have guessed that I'd become so involved in an activity I had no prior attachments to before university? Right now, I'm in the midst of preparing for my first international debate tournament, the Hong Kong Debate Open. {BRAG ALERT} I'm proud to say that I beat the odds of being a freshy AND a newbie to debate winning an official Chula team slot in the HKDO. Yes, I've been patting myself on the back since Friday morning, when the selection results were released. It's official. I will be partnering up with Rabert (Explosion) in BP-style debate. Psyched.
          As for classes, what classes? AP has made me immune to anything Nitade could possibly throw at me. My Academic Writing professor would be first to admit that it's almost mockery to make me sit in that class after I've taken AP Composition. We're currently learning about the types of sentences - simple, compound, complex... Not kidding. The positive side of a relaxed education however is simply and obviously that it gives me time. And trust me, I know how to make the most out of my time. Besides offering it at an alter to debate, on Saturdays, I tutor! Guess what subject?... Academic writing! Honestly, teaching something I'm confident in and passionate about to someone who's so willing to learn gives me so much joy. Again, never could have guessed. 

           Lastly, in the past month and a half, I've noticed changes on an intrapersonal level. I've become become less of a slob and increasingly more responsible. I iron my own shirts every week now. I actually sleep on my bed and not on the livingroom couch as I did for half of my highschool life. I'm willing to wake up earlier just to save transportation costs.  I think more about saving and making money. I've gotten a little better at perpetual cleaning. And I take more initiative to read the news. This comes at a cost of my creative activities though. Oh God, don't tell me I've grown up. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that the classes will be chill. :D I'm planning on joining debate, too. Does debate allow time for you to be in other clubs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, technically I am in CU Movie Club and in the Christian Club, but I recently missed out on SWEENEY TODD!!! and the Christian Club... I feel so bad.
    It's not the same for everyone in the club though since workload varies for people of different kana and different "roles" in debate club. But I'm sure YOU would be a debater, so... you're screwed! HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete