Saturday, June 25, 2011

LA: Dark Art, Used Records, and Arnold Palmer

          I am now sitting in a multi-gate lobby at LAX’s domestic terminal waiting to get a planeseat to Fort Lauderale, Florida. I missed my flight last night and have lost 12 hours. Isn’t that lovely? Anyways I’m taking this opportunity of free time to update you on what I’ve experienced this past week.
          Since Monday I’ve been scrambling around LA trying to spend time with as many relatives as possible. My exhaustion comes with realization of how big of a family I have here and how little of time in the city I gave myself. The reason I missed my flight last night is because I was too determined to meet an uncle I’ve never met at last minute. 

Quick fact: my last name actually means "big family".
But enough of my family issues, time for your visitors’ guide on the city of LA:

1. The Tim Burton's Museum

The Tim Burton’s museum is in town at LACMA, (Los Angeles County Musuem of Art) until October 31st. I’m sure you’re all familiar with many of Burton’s films  - Edward Scissorhands (my favorite), Sweeney Todd, A Nightmare before Christmas, Alice in Wonderland, and all those other creepy films starring Johnny Depp - but what you probably aren't familiar with is that the man is also a talented illustrator, painter, photographer, poet, model-maker… artist. His distinct, dark style is reflected in every strange curve and corner of the exhibition. The walls display any of his work from quick character sketches on café napkins to gigantic polaroids of Burton’s animation models. There is a glow-in-the-dark room illuminating bizarre creatures. The museum also features other artists who collaborated with Burton, most of them scene and character developers of the movies we've seen. Actual movie props are on display too. No touching though! My favorite thing in the entire museum however was a poem by Burton entitled 'Robot Boy' - very twisted, very Burtonesque. You can read it here if you're really curious.


1. The genius himself
2. Polaroid films (20x24), shot by Tim Burton
3. One of Burton's sketches of Edward Scissorhands
4. Handmade models of Jack's (The Nightmare Before Christmas) face
*These images are not mine.



2. Amoeba

On the same day, I visited Amoeba in Hollywood. It's a famous music store located at only three places in the world: Hollywood, Berkeley, and San Francisco. Yep, all three in California. (Sorry, music-lovers everywhere else.) At Amoeba, you can find albums from just about every genre. There are new records and CDs, as well as used ones, which can be very fun to buy. You can also get music merchandise, like posters. I imagine I must have looked  like a kid in a candystore. When I was there I suddenly forgot the names of all the musicians I listen to and roamed wide-eyed and aimlessly among the aisles. So... if you ever go to Amoeba here's what I recommend doing:
  1. know the albums you want beforehand
  2. look at both the used and new
  3. and don't be afraid to buy something you've never heard of before.
Makes sense that some go to Amoeba to be introduced to something new too. I actually got the chance to recommend a Radiohead album to a stranger that day. He really bought the CD. =]



Photography by: Philip Apichatskol
Entitled: "Mika Going Crazy"

3. Shop Spots

Now for you shoppaholics out there, I recommend Fashion Island, the South Coast Plaza Mall, and the Americana at Glendale. All of them are very highso, but they all have my favorite store, Forever 21. In other words, the scene is classy, but you can always find affordable. These two, as most malls here are, are outdoor malls (like K-Village but bigger). And when you're shopping here, be sure to take a break and sip some Arnold Palmers (half-lemonade, half-iced tea) at a cafe. 


1. Americana
2. an Arnold Palmer
3. Fashion Island (outside)
4. Fashion Island ("inside")
5. Look closely... It's Forever 21 (at Americana)

This is all I'll write for now. The next post will probably be from Florida. Talk to you then. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment